Conducting proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court is a skill in its own right. We are the go to firm in the Netherlands for Supreme Court proceedings.
The Supreme Court sets high demands
Supreme Court litigation is inherently different from proceedings conducted before the district court or court of appeal. The Supreme Court, when assessing an appeal, is bound by the facts established by the lower courts. The judgments of the lower courts can only be set aside if they are contrary to the law or if the reasoning is unsound. The Supreme Court sets high demands on the quality of complaints submitted to it and the defence conducted against those complaints. Accordingly, successful litigation before the Supreme Court requires a great deal of expertise and experience.
Pels Rijcken’s expertise and specialist team
Pels Rijcken has had a team of attorneys specialised in Supreme Court litigation for decades. We litigate at the forefront of legal developments and handle more cases before the Dutch Supreme Court than any other law firm.
Our specialists combine knowledge of procedural law and Supreme Court litigation expertise at the highest level in all major areas of law, both civil and tax. The team represents private and public-sector clients, often on behalf of the lawyer who handled the case before the district court and the court of appeal.
We can provide assistance at any stage and in any form, whether you need a quick scan, a detailed opinion, Supreme Court proceedings or questions for preliminary ruling by the Supreme Court. Our Supreme Court attorneys always work in close cooperation with the principal. Often already at the court of appeal stage, with a view to a possible Supreme Court appeal.
Pels Rijcken's Supreme Court attorneys share their knowledge of Supreme Court law at www.cassatieblog.nl, where they report and comment every week on the Supreme Court’s civil judgments. Our Supreme Court blog thus offers a quick, accessible and expert look at Supreme Court case law.
- "It is one of the best Supreme Court litigation teams in the Netherlands." - Chambers Europe, 2023
- "The lawyers quickly familiarise themselves with the matter and are able to quickly conduct a valid legal analysis." - Chambers Europe, 2023
- "The service levels are very high and the level of responsiveness is quick, as well as being of high quality." - Chambers Europe, 2023
- "They listen and have always shown that they make their decisions based on facts." - The Legal 500, 2023
- "In my opinion, nothing beats the Supreme Court litigation team of Pels Rijcken." - The Legal 500, 2023
- "Excellent Supreme Court litigation team." - The Legal 500, 2022
- "Very strong IP team, especially for cassation." - The Legal 500, 2022