Erik Pijnacker Hordijk is one of the most experienced lawyers in the Netherlands in the area of EU and competition law. Erik has been a lawyer since 1983. In 2017, he left De Brauw to join Pels Rijcken as head of the European Law practice group. Erik advises on and litigates in cases for companies and governments on any number of issues in his specialist area. His practice ranges from cartel damage cases to proceedings on the consequences of Brexit for residence rights of British nationals. In addition to competition law, state aid and the internal market are priorities in his practice.
Erik studied Dutch Law and philosophy at the University of Utrecht and earned a European Master's degree from the College of Europe in Bruges. He is co-author of Aanbestedingsrecht, a well-known handbook on European and Dutch procurement law. He has a number of preliminary reports and numerous other publications to his name. Erik is a deputy justice at the Den Bosch Court of Appeal. He is fluent in English, French and German. Erik has been a long-standing market leader in Band I of Chambers Europe in the Competition/European Law discipline for many years.
- "Erik is one of the top names in the market. He has a tremendous amount of experience and is one of the cleverest competition lawyers in the Netherlands ever." - Chambers Europe, 2023
- "Erik has extremely wide experience with excellent analytical capacities. He is at his best in extremely complex cases even with short deadlines." - Chambers Europe, 2023
- Leading individual for EU and competition - The Legal 500, 2023
- "Very practically minded and effective in dealing with complex files. He has a lot of 'court charisma' that adds value to our legal arguments." - Chambers Europe, 2022
- "Working with Erik Pijnacker Hordijk is such a pleasure. He understands the business, is available, is always fast and sharp in his assessment and is practical in terms of advising." - The Legal 500, 2022
- "The practice is led by Erik Pijnacker Hordijk, who has over 35 years of EU and competition law experience." - The Legal 500, 2022
- Leading Individual for EU and competition - The Legal 500, 2022